Have you ever considered “Dry Skin Brushing”?
Dry skin brushing is brushing your entire body with a natural bristle brush. Never scrub the skin, just a light brushing motion is needed. Start at the bottom of your right foot and brush in a circular motion, and then brush your skin from the top of your foot toward your heart in the direction of your lymphatic flow. Brush in long strokes upward, toward your knee, outer area then inner area working your way up your thighs front and back. Repeat on left leg. On you right buttocks then the left use a large circular motion, ending with strokes upwards. Brush your arms from your hand to your shoulders, outer area then inner area, with long upward strokes. Use a figure eight motion over your breasts several times avoiding the sensitive nipple area. On your ribs, brush from the top down to the waist. Use a circular clockwise motion on the belly beginning at the naval. On your back brush from the neck to your waist downward horizontally or circular, if that is too difficult.
Shower in warm water with your favorite body wash. Alternate rinse water with warm/cool water about 3 – 4 times ending with warm water to stimulate your immune system. Pat dry skin. Apply coconut oil or other moisture retaining lotion/cream to nourish your skin.
This whole routine only adds about 5 minutes to your morning routine.
Dry skin brushes can be found at most health related stores and you will find many choices on-line. Choose the style that works best for you. Its best to have a natural bristle brush that has a handle to brush the hard to reach areas of your body. Clean your brush periodically with soap and rinse thoroughly and allow to dry.
Benefits of Dry Skin Brushing:
- Assists in eliminating toxins from the skin (your body’s largest organ), helps to remove ingrown hairs
- Removes dead skin cells, assists in skin cell renewal, tones and improves skin elasticity to create a smoother, clearer appearance
- Assists the natural lymphatic flow in eliminating toxins from your body. A sluggish lymphatic flow is a major factor leading to inflammation and disease. So dry skin brushing is an excellent skin detoxification aid.
- Increases circulation to your skin, which encourages the elimination of metabolic waste.
- Reduces the effects of cellulite by assisting in removing toxins in fat cells and softening fat cells to create a smoother appearance of the skin.
- Assists in relieving stress by the meditative act of being present, in a quiet place and stroking your skin. Calms your mind and creates a feeling of relaxation.
- Dry skin brushing may go even deeper, helping to support your digestion and organ function.
- A form of gentle all-over body massage.
- Stimulates the hormone and oil producing glands.
- Improves the function of the nervous system.
- Invigorating, refreshing, creates a really clean feeling.
- Quick, easy and inexpensive. A service provided by world class spas.
What a better way to start your day, feeling invigorated, clean and vibrantly healthy.
I have been dry skin brushing for several years and I love to share how this small act of self care has improved the appearance of my skin, I feel fabulous and energized in the mornings and I love how my skin feels.
Try it for 30 days and I bet you will see and feel a tremendous difference in your skin’s appearance and your morning energy level. It’s better than a cup of coffee? That’s debatable.
If you find yourself in the Severna Park area of Anne Arundel County, Maryland, come see me and experience a 60 or 90 minute relaxing therapeutic massage at Bodyworx Spa. You can book a massage on the website and see all the services available for your personal self care program.
Visit www.bodyworxspa.com and schedule your massage today.
Sending you love and light,
Kathy Brokos, LMT